If you can't buy gyu-tan already prepared (or want to save some money) a whole beef tongue can be a little daunting and very tricky to prepare for Yakiniku or other Japanese dishes. Here is the easy way to skin and slice your gyu-tan perfectly:
- Rinse tongue well under cold running water.
- Stretch tongue out flat and wrap with plastic wrap.
- Place in freezer for about 4 hours or until semi-frozen (a little stiff but soft enough to slice easily. Alternately, freeze and then defrost in fridge until semi-frozen)
- The skin can now be easily sliced off with a sharpened knife
- Slice thinly.
- One tongue serves about 3 people for yakiniku, or more if other meats are also used.